It’s the season for ghosts, goblins, witches, and more. There are plenty of things to scare you this Halloween, and a strange odor coming from your HVAC system shouldn’t be one of them. If your home’s heating smells funny, it could be trying to tell you something. We are going to review some of the potential reasons for those peculiar odors, to help you get to the root cause of the issue, so you can get back to pumpkin carving, apple bobbing, and all of the other fun seasonal activities.
Some Odors that You may Smell Coming from Your HVAC
Almost everywhere that you go this season, the smells of apples and pumpkin spice fill the air, if your heating system is overpowering those aromas and smells strange, you likely want to get to the bottom of it and resolve it as soon as possible. To help you unravel the mystery, below we are going to review some common odors your HVAC system may be producing and what your home’s heating smelling funny could mean.
- Witches' Brew | The Mysterious Smoky Odor: One of the most common smells associated with heating systems is a smoky odor. If there is a smoky smell coming from your heater, if you have just turned on the furnace for the season; that is usually okay. Dust can accumulate on the heating elements, causing a peculiar odor when you fire it up. This strange fragrance is like a witches' brew, signaling the arrival of autumn and reminding you that it's time to clean and/or change your air filters and for other regular HVAC maintenance. If you notice the smoky aroma lingering or if the stench starts all of the sudden, there could be a larger issue. If this is the case, turn off your furnace and contact a local heating repair professional to come out and inspect your system.
- Cursed Cauldron | Burning Plastic: If your home’s heating smells funny and that’s because it is putting off a scent of burning plastic, it may actually be because there is burning plastic. Don’t let your HVAC work as a cauldron melting your home’s items together. Before you turn on your furnace for the year and each time you go to use it, you should inspect around it to ensure there is nothing in it, touching it, or near to it. A burning plastic odor can be caused by a foreign object being in or near your HVAC system. If you notice this smell and can’t identify what is causing the odor, shut off your furnace and contact a local furnace repair expert as soon as possible to avoid breathing in the harmful fumes and a potential fire.
- The Haunted House's Misfortune | The Cryptic Odor of Mold and Mildew: While Halloween decorations may give off a musty smell intentionally, an unpleasant, moldy odor from your heating system is far from desirable. It's a sign that something sinister might be lurking within your ductwork. Moisture buildup and condensation can provide the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew, which can have harmful effects on your health. Summon a professional from Bragg Cooling, Heating & Plumbing to investigate the issue and banish the mold monsters from your home.
- The Cursed Catch | Fishy Aroma: If there is a fishy smell coming from your furnace, it is sure to make you want to unveil the secrets that lie within and transform this mysterious scent back into a more welcomed fragrance of the season. The electrical components of your heating system are typically covered in chemicals and plastic. When these components heat up and/or start burning, they can produce a fishy burning odor. If you notice a burning electrical smell coming from your furnace, you should contact a HVAC professional. While furnaces are usually built to automatically power down when they start to overheat, if the safety feature is broken, this could cause issues, create the fishy smell, and put you and your family at risk of an electrical fire.
- Vampire in the Ducts |The Smell of a Decaying Animal: If you catch a whiff of something decaying or a pungent, foul odor coming from your heating system, you might have a deceased critter residing within your home’s ductwork. Small pests and rodents seeking shelter can occasionally find their way into ductwork, unable to find their way out. Just like vampire hunters, you need to call in the professionals for duct cleaning to rid your home of this unpleasant smell.
This Halloween season, if your home’s heating smells funny, the unusual aromas might be trying to tell you something. Regardless of the odor, if you smell something strange, you should contact the experts at Bragg Cooling, Heating & Plumbing to solve the mysteries lurking in your heating system and restore peace and comfort to your home. Things like professional duct cleaning, advanced air filtration systems, and an annual heating tune-up, should help you avoid less than desirable smells coming from your heater. If you have a strange odor coming from your furnace, you should always power it down and call in a professional to help.
At Bragg Cooling, Heating & Plumbing we offer fast same-day HVAC service as we know you can’t be without your heat for long. Regardless of whether it is a repair or replacement, you can depend on Bragg for expert consultation that meets or exceeds your expectations. We will always give you an honest assessment of your heating situation so you can make an informed decision.
Bragg Cooling, Heating & Plumbing is a full service HVAC company that is licensed to solve all your furnace related problems, including repair, replacement, and maintenance and safety inspection. We’ve been repairing and installing furnaces since 1968. Contact us today.